Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Outspoken

Music: First Love by Utada Hikaru [Jazz Version]

I have a habit of saying horrible things. For example, when I was researching in Washington D.C. with Dr. Wadkins (and two other students), we were searching for a place to eat one night. Lance wanted something different...something...exotic.

Dr. Wadkins: Something different? Something exotic? Let's see, we've got this Lebanese restaurant that's really good. There's also Thai, Moroccon, Pakistani, Ethiopian...

Me: Ethiopian?! I didn't know Ethiopia had food.

Dr. Wadkins: *pauses and then sighs*

But of course, I know that not everyone in Ethiopia is a starving orphan. It's just a habit.

In multicomposition thermodynamics (aka big people thermo), my professor wants us to turn in our homework at the beginning of class. He doesn't take late homework. Well, of course my printer doesn't work and the engineering printer is out of ink. So, I decide to ask nicely during class.

Me: Dr. Chen, my printer broke this morning and the engineering printer is out of ink. After class, may I please run to the library to print my homework out?

Dr. Chen: Oh...haha.*jokingly* For a price.

Me: Do you want a pound of rice or something? 'Cause, well, I know how much you love...rice...

I apologized to Dr. Chen later. He replied, "No, I thought it was funny. I'm not used to girls being so outspoken. But I have no excuse. I've lived in America for 17 years."

And then, my differential equations professor...

Dr. Jones: *referring to the problem he did on the board* This is a step you can skip. You don't have to simplify it on the test, I'm j-just showing you a cleaner way to present your solution.

Me: If we show the extra step on the test, will we get extra credit?

Dr. Jones: No...well...yes...the way I grade is...d-depends on my mood-----

Me: Whoa! What?!

Dr. Jones: W-what I mean is, er...uh...it would depend on....how *I* feel the rest of the class is doing. I grade harder when the class is doing really well...s-s-so that way we can separate the A's from the B's and so on.

Me: Listen, do you want a beer or something while you're grading my test?

The class: *LOL*

Dr. Jones: Uh...err...um...t-that would be very nice but uh....ok....er...um...n-next problem!

No comments:

Post a Comment