Saturday, April 24, 2010

Being a smart-ass

Music: Mary Jane's Last Dance by Tom Petty

Dr. Sukanek is my fluid dynamics & heat transfer professor. He is a total badass. All of the engineering majors are pretty scared of him...except for my class. For example...

This is how I do it
-------------------------------------

Dr. Sukanek: So, you can find a Reynold's number and then find the Nussle number. With all the overall given information, what can you use to solve for the final temperature of the system?

Me: Equations.

Dr. Sukanek: [closes his eyes disappointingly] YES. You DO use equations. What kind of equations???

Me: Equations with temperature in it.

Dr. Sukanek: [shakes his head disappointingly] Why do I even bother?

This is how Tyler does it.
-------------------------------------

Tyler: [listening to the Talking Heads on his I-pod before class starts]

Dr. Sukanek: [comes into the classroom] Hi. What are you listening to?

Tyler: The Talking Heads. Have you ever heard of them? They came out in the eighties....hey....weren't you, like, 30 when they came out?

This is how William does it.
-------------------------------------

Dr. Sukanek: If your phone goes off during class...I answer it. Okay? If my phone goes off during class, you guys answer it.

[Dr. Sukanek's phone rings]

Dr. Sukanek: Aw shit! [gives his cellphone to William.]

William: Hello? Oh, hey. Who's this? Yeah...your dad's teaching a class right now. Hey baby, are you busy tonight?

Dr. Sukanek: Hey! That's my daughter!

This is how Carmen does it.
-------------------------------------

Dr. Sukanek: If you want a job in America, you use English units. So, you have to know the conversions between pounds force, pound mass, BTU's, etcetera.

Carmen: Or you can use Mathcad.

Dr. Sukanek: Mathcad?! So, if your boss asks you what's the conversion of something, are you going to run back to your office to convert it with Mathcad?

Carmen: We'll have Mathcad on our phones by then.

And then...Dr. Sukanek strikes back
-------------------------------------

Dr. Sukanek: Have I graded your projects yet? Oh hell no! First of all, I'm feeling kind of sick and I blame you people. So, I'm already in a bad mood. This is what is going to happen when I start grading them. I'm gonna look at a couple of them and say to myself, "How DUMB can these people be?" and then I'd have to go grab a couple martinis afterwards. [sneezes] Excuse me. Whenever I sneeze...I'll think of you people.

No comments:

Post a Comment